Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Las Palmas Taco Bar

So I finally made it down to Las Palmas, months after I moved out of Santa Cruz. I must say, I was pretty underwhelmed...for a greasy, cheap burrito it wasn't that great.

Quality of meat (1-10) : 8.0
So I guess the meat was good; it was crispy and obviously pretty greasy. Taquerias in the suburbs have much to learn about "quality of meat" from taquerias like this one.

Quality of house salsa (1-10) : 7.8
There was only one kind of salsa here, which is definitely not (necessarily) a bad thing (see Tacos Moreno), but it wasn't outstanding. It was definitely good enough to eat with the whole burrito, but I wouldn't go out of my way to find it again.

Quality of guacamole (1-10) : 8.1
Hard to mess up guacamole. Pretty hard. Nothing special, but it sure isn't bad.

Quality of chips (1-5) : N/A
Chips are extra, so Las Palmas should really be getting a penalty here, but I'm not going to split hairs. Hahahahahaha. Penalty.

Size/diversity of menu (1-5) : 2.8
Pretty average; all the old standbys and a few more.

Size of burrito (1-5) : 3.8
This burrito was definitely sizeable. I was able to finish it, but I can imagine numerous situations in which I would not have been able to. The size is really not what makes you feel full, though. Las Palmas food sits with you.

Approximate price (for a standard burrito) : $6
Dude, the veggie burrito is only $3! Seriously!!

Locally 0wned? : Probably

Satisfaction factor (1-10) : 8.3
The burrito feels like lead in your stomach at first, but that slowly turns into not being hungry for several hours.

Overall taste (1-10) : 8.6
Update: Definitely way better than Taqueria Santa Cruz, contrary to what I said before. Santa Cruz destination burrito status.

Las Palmas Taco Bar
55 Front Street
Santa Cruz, CA 95060


1 comment:

Scott said...

mose, las palmas owns santa cruz. you just have to do the following:
a) understand and accept the grease.
b) get tacos. crispy tacos. rice and beans.
c) man up and get the fried burrito. but that shit's frightening. and i know i said "man up" and i'm taking a class about feminism, so i question my own phrasing and chalk it up figures of speech.