Thursday, August 7, 2008

Bronco Burrito

I love hole-in-the-wall Mexican food places. For some reason, they always satisfy me. This place is no different. My friend and I were driving down Ventura Blvd. and decided to eat the first burrito we saw. This was it. It was a knife-and-fork burrito, not a hand-friendly burrito. You go ahead and have your prejudices about non-handy burritos.

Quality of meat (1-10) : 8.4
I went with the carne asada, as I normally do, and I was not disappointed. The meat was juicy and flavorful, but not too greasy and not too shredded.

Quality of house salsa (1-10) : 5.2
The salsa wasn't nearly as bad as it was strange. It consisted of cabbage, tomatoes, cilantro and nothing more. They didn't have any other kind of salsa, either. It went well with the burrito, as you can imagine, but I had never been to a burrito joint that put less of a general emphasis on their original salsa.

Quality of guacamole (1-10) : 6.7
Guacamole is extra in the burritos here. They must have only put a few drops in mine because I could only taste it when I really searched. It's worth adding in, as guac tends to be, but don't expect all that much. Unfortunately, it was runny and farther away from avocadoes than one would prefer their guacamole to be. Than I would, at the very least.

Quality of chips (1-5) : ?
No chips! I didn't even think to ask if they had chips. They really might not even have any.

Size/Diversity of menu (1-5) : 4.1
I'm beginning to understand that the size and diversity of a menu at a Mexican food place is positively proportional to the number of actual Mexicans that eat there. Bronco Burrito, taking as data the single time I ate there, exemplifies this idea.

Size of burrito (I will buy a tape measure) : 3.7
Not enormous, but a good size. I hesitate to call it "standard size," because that would make my blog boring. Let's call it "burly."

Approximate price (For a standard burrito) : $6-$7

Locally owned? (Y/N) : Probably

Satisfaction Factor (1-10) : 8.6

Overall taste (1-10) : 8.2

Bronco Burrito
19511 Ventura Blvd
Tarzana, CA 91356

No comments: