Thursday, August 28, 2008

That Burrito Cart on Telegraph and Bancroft

If the place has a name, it doesn't matter, because nobody knows it. After spending all 90 minutes of my first day of upper-div linear algebra deciding whether to go here or Chipotle after class, I decided that I'll definitely end up going to Chipotle some other time. Which I will when faced with this decision again.

Quality of meat (1-10) : 6.0
The meat was somewhat chewy and moderately flavorful. It was a bit disappointing, truth be told. I was expecting hole-in-the-wall burrito joint-quality asada and got cheap-tasting beef.

Quality of house salsa (1-10) : 5.1
This particular burrito cart had two types of salsa: one carrot-based and one standard salsa verde. The salsa verde was dismally sub-par, whereas the carrot salsa was palatable, at best. I would call it just good enough to eat. Barely. So we'll call 5.0 the baseline for "worth eating" from here on out, k?

Quality of guacamole (1-10) : 6.1
The guacamole was nothing special, and they skimped rather drastically. I don't know if you have to pay extra for it, but if you do, you should probably go without unless you've really got an aguacate jones.

Quality of chips (1-5) : 3.6
The chips, I liked. They would have been better had the salsa been better, but they went very well with the burrito anyway. They're oily. As chips might be if you, I don't know, made them by frying a tortilla?

Size/Diversity of menu (1-5) : 2.9
Even for a tiny burrito cart the menu was pretty small. I give them a better-than average mark because they had al pastor and lengua.

Size of burrito (1-5) : 2.2
Yeah, the burritos are pretty damn small. Even the Tacos Moreno burritos are bigger, which is saying something.

Approximate price (for a standard burrito) : $5-6

Locally owned? (Y/N) : Probably

Satisfaction factor (1-10) : 5.8

Overall taste (1-10) : 5.3

The flavor of the lettuce was somewhat overstated in this burrito, which is a small transgression, but worth noting. I don't know if I have mentioned this before, but peas have absolutely no place whatsoever in a burrito. There is no person nor burrito that can sway me from this position. I dare you to try. In fact, don't. Don't waste my time and belly space. Don't waste your own with this burrito. Go to Chipotle.

Some burrito cart
Telegraph & Bancroft
Berkeley, CA 94709

No comments: