Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Taqueria La Cabaña

I just woke up with a craving for this burrito, another one of my favorites. Sadly, it's upwards of 350 miles away. All you Santa Cruzians should capitalize. I definitely loved burritos the first time I went to Taqueria La Cabaña, but I was not at all ready for what I was about to taste. This epic first La Cabaña burrito was my introduction to the world of burrito fanaticism. The standard "Super Burrito" comes with rice, beans, lettuce, cheese, salsa, guac, and sour cream.

Quality of meat (1-10) : 9.0
Taqueria La Cabaña is the only taqueria where I don't normally order carne asada burritos. The chicharron is incredibly good and the carnitas are juicy as well. I think their chile verde is among the best I have had. They also offer red snapper burritos and salmon burritos, which are well-liked by the community. I find the meat here slightly better than at Los Pericos because it's the foundation for real synergy between all the contents of the burrito.

Quality of house salsa (1-10) : 9.3
I cannot stress enough how excellent and unique the salsa is here. It's not pico de gallo and it's even extremely runny, but it's amazing. I am still trying to figure out what they put in it. I wouldn't be surprised if they put cucumber in it, an extremely good call. Put down that Tapatío.

Quality of guacamole (1-10) : 7.7
As previously mentioned, the burritos here have great synergy going on. That said, the guac doesn't stand out, but it adds wonders to the overall taste. And it comes with the burrito already!

Quality of chips (1-5) : 4.2
Even the chips at La Cabaña are uncommonly good. The chips and salsa will definitely hold you over until your burrito arrives, and you'll enjoy every minute.

Size/Diversity of menu (1-5) : 4.5
La Cabaña is one of the taquerias whose authenticity people question because of their selection. In my opinion, who says burritos have to be authentic? It's a food. If it tastes good, I'll eat it. La Cabaña has an awesome menu and selection, boasting excellent fish tacos/burritos and a great selection of veggie burritos, including burritos with spinach, mushrooms, nopales (cactus), artichoke, and standard veg. They even have California burritos, if that's your thing. And if none of the aforementioned tickles your fancy, they have soups, a variety of ceviche y camarónes, and even hamburgers, all aimed to satisfy.

Size of burrito (1-5) : 4.2

Approximate price (For a standard burrito) : <$6

Locally owned? (Y/N) : Yes

Satisfaction Factor (1-10) : 9.3
Now, it is at this point I would like to venture that there is no better burrito to eat while inebriated in the city of Santa Cruz than this one. Just sayin'.

Overall taste (1-10) : 9.2

Taqueria La Cabaña
2332 Mission St
Santa Cruz, CA 95060

No comments: