Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Taqueria Los Pericos

I might as well start with one of my favorite burritos thus far. The place is Taqueria Los Pericos, in Santa Cruz.

I would like to begin by saying that while Los Pericos has a variety of salsas, they all pale in comparison with the pico de gallo. This is made even better by the fact that Los Pericos offers infinite chips and infinite salsa. Do not hesitate to take advantage of this.

The menu has something on it called "Turbo." It offers no description of what a "Turbo" is. Next time I go here, I may try one. You should, too. I'm sure the stoned guy behind the counter will laugh when you ask him.

Los Pericos offers wheat tortillas along with tomato and spinach-flavored tortillas, for those of you who are bored of white flour tortilla. The selection of meat is standard for an authentic taqueria, offering six or seven different types, including the "weird" ones like lengua and buche. I recommend the carne asada, as I usually do, but I hear the carnitas are great as well.

Also, for those of you that are vegetarian, I hear that Los Pericos boasts one of the best vegetarian burritos in SC, along with taco salad with and without meat, both of which are highly touted by friends.

Quality of meat (1-10) : 8.5
Quality of house salsa (1-10) : 9.3
Quality of guacamole (1-10) : 3.0 (The guacamole here is the only thing that will disappoint you.)
Quality of chips (1-5) : 3.7
Size/Diversity of menu (1-5) : 4.2
Size of burrito (1-5) : 4.0
Approximate price (For a standard burrito) : <$6
Locally owned? Yes
Satisfaction Factor (1-10) : 9.1
Overall taste (1-10) : 8.9

Taqueria Los Pericos
139 Water St.
Santa Cruz, CA 95060
Open late

No comments: