Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Taqueria Vallarta

I would like to preface this one by saying that Vallarta has many locations in Santa Cruz county, and I have only visited the one in downtown SC, on Pacific Avenue. I haven't tried the guacamole here, but no matter. I cannot stress enough that, more than possibly anything I have ever experienced, this taqueria deserves the label overrated.

Quality of meat (1-10) : 4.0
The meat here is incredibly dry and tough. I have tried both the carne asada and the carnitas, and I have given them both many chances; each time they have failed me.

Quality of house salsa (1-10) : 2.5
All of the salsa at Vallarta is so bad that the burrito tastes better without it. They even somehow managed to screw up the pico de gallo, which is no easy task. Don't ask me how they did it.

Quality of guacamole (1-10) : ?

Quality of chips (1-5) : 3.0

Size/Diversity of menu (1-5) : 2.0
The menu at Vallarta is the smallest of any taqueria in Santa Cruz. Prove me wrong.

Size of burrito (1-5) : 3.4

Approximate price (For a standard burrito) : $6-$7

Locally owned? (Y/N) : ?

Satisfaction Factor (1-10) : 2.7
More than one friend of mine has gotten sick from eating here.


Overall taste (1-10) : 3.3

I beg you, if you find yourself in downtown Santa Cruz with a burrito jones, do not search here. A better burrito within walking distance is Jalapeño's at the south end of Pacific. An entry on this hole-in-the-wall taqueria is forthcoming.

Taqueria Vallarta
1101 Pacific Avenue, Ste. A
Santa Cruz, CA 95060

No comments: